Defend the Right of Independent Living - How the EU´s austerity policy is undermining the lives of p
Hearing organised by GUE/NGL in collaboration with ENIL (European Network for Independent Living)
European Parliament, Room A1G2, Brussels
Thursday 9 February 2012 – 15.00 – 18.30
The hearing will be webstreamed on the left.eu
Panel 1: Understanding the impact of austerity measures on persons with disabilities
- Kartika Liotard, MEP
- Cecilia Wikström, MEP – Setting the scene;
- John Evans OBE, Advisory Board member of the European Network on Independent Living;
- Michael McCabe, Chairperson of the Centre for Independent Living Dublin;
- Kapka Panayotova, Director of the Centre for Independent Living Sofia and Chairwoman of the European Network on Independent Living;
- Prof. Alan Roulstone, Expert on global and European disability policy.
Panel 2: Addressing the threat of cuts to the rights of persons with disabilities at the European level
- Paul Murphy, MEP
- Simona Giarratano, Policy Officer at the European Disability Forum;
- Sian Jones, Policy Officer at the European Anti-Poverty Network (TBC);
- Peter Lambreghts, European Network on Independent Living and Onafhankelijk Leven;
- Representative of the European Commission (TBC).
Reception to follow
Want to know more about the hearing? Download this document.
Please register by 02 february 2012 at [email protected]
If you do not have an EU Parliament badge, please include your date of birth, nationality and passport number, so we can arrange your access into Parliament.
For more information:
- Tanja Niemeier: [email protected]
- Gianfranco Battistini: [email protected]